Cat Pose (Marjariasana) [mar-jar-ee-ahh-sanna]
Now compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touchMore info...
"I love your site as it gives me lots of options to choose from and since my children are very young, I am able to do it at my convenience. I'm looking forward to progressing to higher levels! Keep up the good work!!" - Julie McGreggor
Cat Pose (Marjariasana) [mar-jar-ee-ahh-sanna] Pose | Back Bends
You will feel new life and energy come to your spine after practicing this pose. The internal organs are also given renewed blood flow, helping to improve their action. Wonderfully new awareness of the spine will continue throughout the years of practice.
- Come onto the floor on your hands and knees. Bring the hands shoulders width apart and the knees hips width apart. Become aware of the length and quality of the breath.
- Inhalation slowly and completely. Open the chest forward, arching the back downward. Feel the tailbone and the crown of the head lifting equally towards the sky. Try to feel every part of the back, every vertebra.
- Exhale slowly and completely as you begin to arch the back upward. Tuck the tailbone and the crown of the head moving them towards each other. Use your hands and knees for support in the pose. Try to feel every part of the back, every vertebrae.
- Continue to coordinate the breath and the movement of the spine, repeating this sequence and many times as is desirable. When you are ready to stop simply bring the spine back to a neutral position, parallel to the floor.
- Excellent for creating a supple spine, preventing injury
- Purifies the blood
- Reinvigorates the spine and internal organs
- Relieves tension in the low back
- Continuously have your awareness on you back and neck. Do not over extend.
- Use the hands and knees for support without using them to push yourself more deeply into the arch. The body will naturally open with time.
- It may be beneficial to rest in Child's Pose after ending the sequence.